HISTORY OF EARTH DAY
The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970, when a US senator from Wisconsin organized a national demonstration to raise awareness about environmental issues. Correspondingly, rallies took place across the country and the U.S. government then created the Environmental Protection Agency. Currently, on every April 22nd Earth Day is celebrated by over 1 billion people world-wide who come together to promote and raise awareness for our planet. As threats to the earth grow, as well as global initiatives and people come together to make a difference.
At DISPENDIX, our vision is to create the future of health and it is our corporate responsibility to make a difference in our world and a positive impact on society. Our products and technology help our customers tackle challenges on healthcare and reduces plastic consumable usage through our non-contact dispensing instruments. Not only does our customers save but so does the planet.
As part of BICO, we support their initiatives such as S.T.E.P., The Sustainable Tissue Engineering Program is a concerted effort by our R&D scientists to adopt the principles of the 3Rs (Replacement, Reduction, and Refinement) and additionally, embrace more humane strategies that minimize the need for animal research, such as improving the accuracy and relevance of alternative disease models.
We support and contribute by setting up sustainable initiatives and giving back to our community.
- Introduce travel policy, with the aim of traveling in a more environmentally friendly way
- E-bike subsidy for commuters
- Switched to eSignatures to reduce the waste of paper
- Reduction of printed instruction manuals
- Reduce air freight shipping and shift to sea or rail
- Development of new instruments with which the use of reagents can be reduced
- Recycle/refurbish products
- Recycle bins in the office and production
- Work/life balance such as flexible working and mobile working
- Employee discount on monthly public transportation passes
- Invested in ergonomic office equipment and height adjustable desks
- Feedback culture: Introduced options for anonymous feedback
- Installed distilled water station to reduce the use of plastic bottles
- Inclusivity & diversity initiatives
Every Earth Day can drive a year of energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to create a new plan of action for our planet. As every change starts with a small step that affects the world around you.
Inspried to do more? Read our article on Simple Steps to a Greener Laboratory.