World Science Day for Peace & Development
Every year on November 10th, World Science Day celebrates the importance of science in society.
In addition, it emphasizes the importance of engaging the wider public in debates about emerging scientific issues. UNESCO proclaimed World Science Day in 2001, and it was celebrated for the first time in 2002.
This day aims to
- Strengthen public awareness of the role of science for peaceful and sustainable societies.
- Promote national and international solidarity for shared science between countries.
- Renew national and international commitment for the use of science for the benefit of societies.
- Draw attention to the challenges faced by science in raising support for the scientific endeavor.
Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development
Sustainable Development is the theme of World Science Day in 2022.
Medical, industrial, agricultural, water resource, energy planning, environment, communications, and cultural advancements rely on applications.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of World Science Day for Peace and Development. This year will focus on the importance of “Building Climate-Ready Communities” in light of climate change’s serious threat to billions of people and the planet.
Through the presentation of some key scientific aspects and possible solutions provided by science, technology, and innovation to the significant global challenges society faces today, we hope to bring science closer to society.
The Future of Health
At DISPENDIX, our vision is to create the future of health and it is our corporate responsibility to make a difference in our world and a positive impact on society. Our products and technology help our customers tackle challenges on healthcare and reduces plastic consumable usage through our non-contact dispensing instruments.
As part of BICO, we support their initiatives such as S.T.E.P., The Sustainable Tissue Engineering Program is a concerted effort by our R&D scientists to adopt the principles of the 3Rs (Replacement, Reduction, and Refinement) and additionally, embrace more humane strategies that minimize the need for animal research, such as improving the accuracy and relevance of alternative disease models.
We support and contribute by setting up sustainable initiatives and giving back to our community.
- Introduce travel policy, with the aim of traveling in a more environmentally friendly way
- Switched to eSignatures to reduce the waste of paper
- Reduction of printed instruction manuals
- Reduce air freight shipping and shift to sea or rail
- Development of new instruments with which the use of reagents can be reduced
- Recycle/refurbish products
- Recycle bins in the office and production
- Work/life balance such as flexible working and mobile working
- Employee discount on monthly public transportation passes
- Invested in ergonomic office equipment and height adjustable desks
- Feedback culture: Introduced options for anonymous feedback
- Installed distilled water station to reduce the use of plastic bottles
- Inclusivity & diversity initiatives
Every year we can drive a year of energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to create a new plan of action for our planet. As every change starts with a small step that affects the world around you.
Inspried to do more? Read our article on Simple Steps to a Greener Laboratory.
Simple Steps to a Greener Laboratory | DISPENDIX Want to reduce plastic in your lab – Check out Automate! Minimize Or Eliminate Pipette Tips Usage. | DISPENDIX
Written By: Julie DiRosa I Product Marketing Manager I DISPENDIX